It is necessary to wear shorts to make the most of your Pole Dance class. Exposing skin on the legs (and arms) allows you to grip on to the pole, rather than slipping off! If you feel shy about wearing shorts you can wear tracksuit trousers at first!
- Comfortable shorts. Lycra style shorts are recommended.
- T-shirt or vest top, that can be tucked in when going upside down.
- Protective shoes or boots. Sports shoes or ‘dancer’ shoes depending on your preference.
We are probably all familiar with the uncomfortable sensation of muscle soreness in the days following a tough workout.
In the fitness industry muscle soreness is also referred to as ‘delayed onset muscle soreness’ (DOMS).
Muscle soreness is a normal response to unusual exertion and is part of an adaptation process that leads to greater stamina and strength as the muscles recover and build.
So muscle soreness can be good!
While you are perfecting new moves on the pole there is a risk that you will get bruises and/or friction burns. Some people bruise more easily than others.
Tips to prevent bruising and friction burns:
- Concentrate on using your strength to control moves more effectively.
- Wear shoes or boots to protect your feet and legs (sports shoes, dance shoes, leather or PVC boots).
Food and water:
- Drink plenty of water! More than 60% of your body weight is water. Water is vital to so many of your bodily functions. Even if you become mildly dehydrated -1%, which could be represented by 0.75-1.0Litres of water can create a reduction in muscle performance and start to show symptoms of dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration include dizziness, headaches, loss of concentration and irritability! Try and drink at least 2.5Litres of water each day.
One of the reasons that Pole Dance has taken off in the last few years is because it is an extremely enjoyable pastime, as well as having fantastic weight loss and muscle toning benefits. It can also be easily practiced at home and requires no prior training or special skills.
If you choose to practice Pole Dance at home, as part of your fitness regime dance poles and DVDs are available to purchase. A Comprehensive Guide to Pole Dance is a DVD that teaches you how to Pole Dance.
The DVD breaks down moves in an easy to learn way. Levels included in this DVD series are Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced.